Sharing the Joy of Software/Delphi in the .NET world

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Outlook, Contacts and Categories

I really enjoy using Outlook for most things. The mail, calendar, journal portions of Outlook are developed quite well. What I find annoying and maybe I do not see how to do it, is how to group contacts, notes and tasks into categories easily and efficiently. I know the "functionality" is there but it does not work well. And now that I have a new PocketPC, I would enjoy being able to drilldown into my contacts, tasks and notes and only see certain categories. I also would like to place my old list of contacts into categories quickly and not have to go into the edit form of the contact to perform the category assignments. If anyone knows how to do this and/or has a 3rd party tool that can help, please let me know. UPDATE -- Michael has replied to give me some knowledge. I am not a Outlook expert so I guess I need to get a Outlook 2003 book and learn some stuff. "would enjoy being able to drilldown into my contacts, tasks and notes and only see certain categories." This is certainly possible. I can't give you exact directions, as I use a german version of Outlook, but if you right click on an empty position somewhere on the pane where the tasks, notes, etc.. are displayed, you should find an item called something like "Customize current view". This allows you to create filters. Also, you should be able to store your filters as "views", somewhere in the main menu "View Arrange By Current View Define Views". "I also would like to place my old list of contacts into categories quickly and not have to go into the edit form of the contact to perform the category assignments." Just select multiple items, right click on them, and choose "Categories...".

1 Comments:

  • "would enjoy being able to drilldown into my contacts, tasks and notes and only see certain categories."

    This is certainly possible. I can't give you exact directions, as I use a german version of Outlook, but if you right click on an empty position somewhere on the pane where the tasks, notes, etc.. are displayed, you should find an item called something like "Customize current view". This allows you to create filters.
    Also, you should be able to store your filters as "views", somewhere in the main menu "View | Arrange By | Current View | Define Views".

    "I also would like to place my old list of contacts into categories quickly and not have to go into the edit form of the contact to perform the category assignments."

    Just select multiple items, right click on them, and choose "Categories...".

    Hope this helps,

    Michael

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home