Sharing the Joy of Software/Delphi in the .NET world

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Thinking about software not for desktops

So for the last few weeks I have been thinking about software for things other than desktops. To tell you the truth, I am very bored of desktop software. I have been doing for over 13 years including college and find that I am a bit burned out. Not that I will not continue to build and design software for the desktop but I need a new view on technology. Last night I met with a few guys at church for a men's meeting. Most of the guys are older and so they were asking me about what I do and so I explained about developing software. They then started asking me what I like to do and I told them that I really thought that the future was to have an important subset of tasks and duties being handled on mobile devices that can get back to a personal data repository (not a database... may explain later what I mean about that) and/or anything else in the world and interact. I explained a few user stories involving traveling and having a device "help" you in a new city like directions, restaurants and tourist attractions. I explained that a device could identify through looking at your schedule and knowing certain things about you could make suggestions for things to do such as a sporting event after a meeting. The possibilities are endless. I think I lost a few of them about half way through but it really got me excited and looking at the world differently. So in the end, I think that I am going to make some drastic changes in my career and outlook professionally. I think everyone should make a change in what they do every so often. Ten years for me feels right. I have my new venture Terralant and I think that the winds are a blow'n. Thanks for reading my thoughts. I will try to get back to techie entries and not these thought dumps. If you have any suggestions, feelings and/or rants of your own send them my way. I would love to get some career discussions going with people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home